Rural and Natural beauties
Come to Strumica if you respect the natural and cultural values and beauty of rural areas
One of the most important segments of the overall tourist offer of Strumica is certainly rural tourism that offers a mosaic of many natural beauties and authentic objects of the immovable cultural heritage of this region. The Villages of Bansko, Veljusa, Vodocha and Gabrovo are genuine representatives of this kind of tourism, and the presence of the endemic fern Osmunda Regalis on the slopes of Belasica, as an exceptional natural rarity, is a real challenge for tourists.
Near this settlement is the "Roman Bath" which is an archaeological site of late antique thermal healing resort, which is raised in III and IV century. The facility has probably used the healing waters of the spring "Parilo" located not far from it, whose capacity is 42 liters per second and the water temperature is 72oC. There have been discovered 11 rooms with different purposes in it so far, such as an apodyterium, a dipterium, a frigidarium, a pool, and more. It is important to note that the "Roman Bath" is one of the rare surviving buildings of its kind in Europe.
Near Bansko there is the monastery church "St Forty Martyrs of Sebaste" which is one of the most significant sites and cultural - historical monuments in Strumica. It is assumed that the church was built during the rule of the Komnenos Dynasty after the fall of Tzar Samuil.
The village is located under the slopes of the Belasica Mountain and its natural environment, the old architecture and traditional way of life are a real feast for the eyes and soul of lovers of rural tourism. The most important feature of Gabrovo and its surroundings are certainly the three Gabrovo Falls from the bowels of the mountain Belasica. Until recently, only one of the waterfalls was available, but thanks made by the Municipality of Strumica the other two are also available now. Beside the natural beauties, the impression is complemented by three bridges, gazebos, benches and other elements for a nicer stay of tourists.
This village is one of the most respectable tourist destinations in Strumica, primarily because of the monastery church "St. Mother of God Eleusa (Merciful)”, one of the most important monuments of its kind, not only in Macedonia but in the Balkans as well. The monastery was built in 1080 by Bishop Manuel of Strumica. It is significant for its outstanding architecture, the preserved compositions of the rich frescoes, the mosaic floor, and an authentic cross painted on the wall of the church porch which is found as the most original cross in the world.
In Veljusa are also the houses of the Mihajlovic and Peev families, which with their old architecture, interior and exterior arrangements, represent invaluable samples of rural life in Veljusa and a real challenge for tourists.
This village is one of the most visited settlements in Strumica by domestic and foreign tourists alike. The main feature of Vodocha the complex of Vodocha churches "St Leontius". This complex consists of three churches that have experienced at least four phases of construction. The first phase, early Christian basilica from V-VI century, the second, Eastern Church from VII-IX century, the third, Western Church built between 1018-1037, and the fourth, Middle Church, built in the late 11th century and early 12th century. "St Leontius" is mentioned as an Episcopal center.
In Vodocha one can visit three archaeological sites, and "Towers" – a settlement of Hellenistic, Roman and Late Antique time, "Selishte" - a settlement of the late ancient and medieval time and "Tiverija" - from the Latin and late ancient times.