St. Elijah - Strumica
The “St. Elijah” monastery is located on the Elenica mountain about four kilometers away from Strumica. It is very probable that the monastery was built at the end of 16th Century, which could be concluded by the icons that originate from that period. A stone plaque with inscription in old Slavic was once found in the monastery, but at some point it was lost. If the plaque had not been brought from somewhere else, one could conclude that the monastery originates from much older times. Throughout its existence, the monastery was destroyed once in 1923, but it was built again and extended in the period between 1975 and 1984. The monastery represents a single-domed structure with a painting of Christ the Pantocrator in the dome, while the apses contain the paintings of the four evangelists Mark, Matthew, John and Luke. The iconostasis of the monastery is made of wood. At the beginning of the 21 century lodging quarters were also built on the premises of the monastery.